Thursday, May 15, 2008

Assessed Teaching :(

My assessed teaching was on Tuesday, but I did not have time to reflect on it up to now. First of all, it was not good and I made lots of silly mistakes. My mentor teacher frankly but without offending said that it was not good compared to the teachings I have done previously. I want to share one of my silly mistakes with you :) In a matching activity, there were two columns with sentences and phrases and the students began to do matching according to the first column which is numbered. However, I said that they should go according to the phrases. After the first one, I understood my mistake but it was too late. I still cannot find the reason why I said them to do so :) But I think it was due to the unnecessary excitement I had that day. Anyway, I am aware of my mistakes and I am aware that they were out of anxiety. Of course, I will not do such silly things in my own class, which is the point.

6 comments:

Ersin İnci said...

you are right. the reason for these silly mistakes is axactly the excessive excitement. our teachers already know it and as you know they also express their ideas about observing someone just for an hour.morover, ı hope metu will be the pioneer to solve this problem.

Nese Genc said...

Yes, they know and say that it is impossiple to learn about our teachings in an hour, Ersin. However, it is true that they do not have any other change and they have to comment on that single hour and unfortunately they have to have an idea about our teachings in that hour. By the way, I could not understand what you mean by saying metu will be pioneer to solve this. Sorry but I really could not get it:(

Unknown said...

nese sorry that I could not write before even though I promised to do so. let me tell you something about my assessed teaching. I did mine a week ago and I cannot imagine a worse lesson. One of the teachers of that class had died a few days before my teaching and I had a text about valentine's day (!) The students were about to cry during the whole lesson. I could not get them to speak a word. My text did not work either as they were not interested in the story of valentines day as expected. I was not excited at all but I was petrified to see those students like that as for the whole term I could not lecture but tried to hush them. at the end, they were silent but it was dead silence literally. what I understood is even if you are ready, anything might happen in the class.

Nese Genc said...

What a pity :(( I am really very sorry about the situation. The students must be very sad; however, you should not worry about your teaching as it was not related to you. I think your teachers will understand that the reason of students' not speaking in the class was not you. By the way, I totally agree with you about "even if you are ready, anything might happen in the class"

Emel Karakuş said...

Neşee, you know that I made a great mistake:) it was really a disaster in my hearty opinion:(
Don't worry and try to get whatever you get from your mistakes, it is only a suggestion offered by a guilty student teacher:))

Nese Genc said...

Of course we are not guilty dear, it was just out of exciety, and yours was not disaster of course, but you are right while saying that we should benefit as much as we can even from our mistakes.